Thursday, October 05, 2006

Socktoberfest questions...

Compliments of Lolly...the socktoberfest questions:

When did you start making socks?
Back at the end of April 2005. That was adult size socks. I had made some two needle baby socks before that.

Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I taught myself...and I always learn a whole lot from the internet and other bloggers. Many a night I find myself sitting in front of my computer with yarn and needles in hand.

What was your first pair?
Ah, the ugly socks. Remember those? Were you around then? I really wanted to host an ugly sock KAL...

How have they "held up" over time?
Well, the yarn is not the best sock yarn I have used. It is kind of ruff feeling and I don't know why I picked those colours. I now tend to knit socks in a plain colour with texture or lacework...yet I still wear the ugly socks!

What would you have done differently?
Nothing really...I learn as I go. I started with basic socks and just moved up. I started with some inexpensive yarn and my taste grew for finer fibers!

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Hmmmm. Koigu, I love, as many of you do. Regia silk is another obsession...it is so soft and it is a really fine gauge which I seem to lean towards now. Devon is working out just great for colourwork in my socks, I've yet to really see how it holds up.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I knit them, you've seen my crochet efforts...they haven't gone to far. Magic loop is the method for me. I have tried double pointed needles and hated the ladder I got inbetween the needles. I know with blocking and practice that would go away, but I like just working across two needles instead of 4. I would hate having to set my self up each time I moved to the next needle...wrapping my yarn for tension around my pinky...etc.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
It really depends on the sock. If it is an elaborate texture design, I go for the simple look of a short row heel. I do love the flap, I just think it is more durable for a heel.

How many pairs have you made?
I had to go count the finished knits...14 complete. I also have two more styles on the needles...the canada socks for a Christmas gift and I just started the cable and rib socks from IK winter (I think)...a surprise for a friend.


And what is a post without a picture?



Following Ashley's lead, I ordered these labels. I went with plain black on white because I couldn't really decide on a colour.

I think my knits deserve a label now.

12 comments:

Ashley said...

Congratulations on not getting ducks on yours :)

Laura B said...

Love the tags... they're so professional.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for big feet and ugly first socks! (I'm a size 10.5 and my first sock attempts are "learning experiences.") I can't wait to see all your future socks.

Anonymous said...

oooooh, the ugly sock! I have a pair of those. I won't tell you which it is, but I'm sure you'll guess in an instant.

Anonymous said...

Those tags will be so appreciated 50 years from now when your grandkids are wearing your cherised handknits!

msubulldog said...

I have enjoyed reading everyone's sock histories. And those labels! I love them! I've been looking for just the right "non-grandmotherly" labels for my things. I'll have to check those out. :)
--Amanda

Dorothy said...

Nice tags.

Mariss said...

Love the tags! You definitely deserve them know that you're a famous blogger! ;) I'm checking out the website right now...

Theresa said...

So glad to see another fan of the heel flap. It's just so classic.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, girl. I've got some ugly socks lurking in my closet too! I also have a tendency to only start socks and not complete them. Can't wait to see the cable and rib sock. I'll have to check out that pattern.

Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Nice labels! Must find some Koigu and knit it up, as I am seeing more plus comments about it on the web!

Elinor said...

Hey, I love the labels. I have some sort of like that but I've been frustrated by how they look sewn in. Do you hand sew yours or machine sew? What kind of stitch do you use so they look nice and professional? Mine always look sloppy.