Saturday, May 20, 2006

Are you just smiling and nodding at me and my knitting!?

Hey...how come no one said anything.

It's like I have this big green piece of vegetable stuck in my teeth and I am walking around smiling at everyone.

Look closely at the two pictures....what is wrong?



Good think I notice it on this attempt at the Basalt Tank. It is actually an error in the pattern. I hate mistakes in published knitting patterns.

There is no excuse. Seriously.

If you publish a pattern, you MUST have it test knitted...in every size, if you ask me.
This is just unacceptable.
I don't have the time to sit and think about the pattern...chase two kids around...plant flowers...clean the house...do laundry...shop for groceries...cook...bath the kids...have very limited sleep over the past four years...
If you ask me the date...or better yet...the day...I can't tell you that.
I have two small children! There is no thinking about patterns. I knit them, that's it.
I HATE MISTAKES IN PUBLISHED PATTERNS!
Good thing I found this one in time...

11 comments:

Ashley said...

Oof, how frustrating...I didn't even notice on the previous post. There _really_ is no excuse. If people are paying money for your pattern, you need to make sure it's right!

Shannon said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

I agree completely!! Especially when the books aren't exactly free, you know what I mean?

This reaffirms my pledge to never buy a new knitting book. First, it helps with the budget. Second, it gives time for the mistakes to come out.

Anonymous said...

I hear you on that!

Anonymous said...

Wow..that is a doozie of a mistake too! I didn't even notice it the first time, no wonder it was such a horrible fit. I don't know what these people think when they publish a book. I know shit happens sometimes but it's not like there is a lack of test knitters out there. Use them! And another thing -

i had heard really good things about this book and decided to take the plunge but now that I have it I'm less then pleased. I love the designs and the originality of it, but I'm so irritated with all these "artsy fartsy" pictures that hide what the final object really will look like. There should be a glossary in the back of 2 small photos of each finished object, from the back and from the front. No weird poses or jutting arms. And yes I realize I can look at the schematics and try to figure it out but I shouldn't have to. If the models have to sit in weird ways to hide the weird puckers or huge necklines then you should go back to the drawing board!

Anonymous said...

Oh Carolyn! What a disgrace!!! Tisk tisk, such an obvious mistake, too!

Anonymous said...

I agree totally with you!

Anonymous said...

WHAT WHAT TURN THE DARN THING OVER MAYBE...
I DO NOT NOT SEE IT LITTLE SISTER.
JUST KNIT AND BE QUIET, IF IT DOES NOT FIT, IT WILL FIT ONE OF US FOR SURE.

SEEK LEGAL HELP CALL MARY MAYBE SHE CAN DO SOMETHING....

Anonymous said...

hey carolyn. i'm deciding between this and the roundabout tank so i checked the book to make sure i saw where the error was. you're talking about the center part being garter and the pic showing it in st st?

if so, i don't see the error. the odd rows are WS and up to Row 7 (the eyelet row) they're all purl. the even rows up to that point are all knit. am i crazy? do we have different versions? or is it just too early and i'm the only one missing the very clear error? ;)

BrooklandJess said...

Ok - I'm not a wholly experienced knitter, but I do ok... and I totally can't see the error. Which makes me feel pretty stupid, since you and 8 commenters see it, but no one will SAY WHAT IT IS?? Help?

Michelle said...

Oh, poo in a poo basket. I really wanted to knit this too. Sigh. Do you think this will be fixable? Maybe get in touch with the author? I see in your later posts that there are a lot of other errors too. I hope it works out, it is an adorable tank.