Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Knitting Olympics

Direct from the Yarn Harlot...THE KNITTING OLYMPICS!

Rules:
1. The project must be a challenge for you to complete in 16 days.
Ok, so if I do the Gull Stitch Cardigan...Day one is a crapper. No pun intended...I have to go to London for a medical test.That leaves me 15 days to complete it. 5 pieces with seaming and blocking...and sewing in a zipper...hmmmm. So, 4 days to complete the back. Lets say 4 days to do the fronts. 5 days to do the sleeves. I will block as I go. A day to seam and weave in the ends. The last day to put in the zipper and model!

2. There are no rules about what a challenge would be. Like the real Olympics, there are many areas to compete in. If you are a new knitter, then a garter stitch baby sweater might do...If you are experienced, well. I've already considered Torino. Use your own conscience.
I know that the Gull Stitch Cardigan is with chunky yarn and on fat needles...but I have to paint my SIL's entire house in one of those weeks.

3. While this is intended to be somewhat difficult (like the Olympics) it is not intended to ruin your life. Don't set yourself up for failure. (Olympic athletes may cry, but they do not whine pitifully, sob and threaten members of their family with pointed sticks because they haven't slept in five days. ) This is intended to (like the Olympics) require some measure of sacrifice, and be difficult, but it should be possible to attain.
Attainable...sure.

4. No casting on before the flame is lit.
Ok, not sure when I will cast on...but it will be after the flame lighting.

5. Finish before the flame goes out.
That would be in the evening, right?

6. You may swatch before the games. (I consider this "training.")
Oh yes, and that means sourcing a yarn before that...I am thinking about this Debbie Bliss yarn...maybe the Summer Grape?

Are you in? Join HERE.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I recently ordered yarn and the pattern for an all-over Fair Isle sweater vest for Greg from KnitPicks. I am considering trying to do this as my Olympic event, as it would definitely be challenging for me, but probably doable as it is a vest. Maybe I should just lie down until that feeling goes away.

Peer pressure. It is dangerous.

Elemmaciltur said...

Yay! Are you also in? I've just sent Stephanie a confirmation that I'll participate!

Anonymous said...

Go for it! I'll be watching from the sidelines.