Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Success!

What a great little project to learn fair isle.



started: November 13, 2005
finished: November 14, 2005
pattern: Evergreen Gift bag from Handknit Holidays
yarn: Peruvian Collection Highland wool
adjustments: I did it in a little smaller gauge. I think this helped the look of the fair isle. I tried to magic loop inside out...but it's really awkward to do. It did help when doing the tree motif then I flipped it right side out to continue.

Here is a close up of the fair isle.



I am really happy with it. Blocking did help any wonky stitches (I blocked it over a large ice tea canister). There was no "picking" here. I need more practice to keep an even gauge with my "throwing". I was trying to do the jogless colour join...I really am not sure how to do it. Does anyone know of anyone doing an online tutorial of it...with photos for those of us who need to see it?

Here is a shot of the bottom, the decreasing is simple and makes a beautiful base.



Fun and quick to knit, while learning a new technique. Plus, another Christmas gift is done!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, beautiful. I have my eye on this project too so that I can learn fair isle.

Is it a decent size?

Knittypants said...

Your little bag is very cute. Your fair isle looks great.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! I really like the i-cord (?) tie, as well as the base.

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I just got my copy of the book yesterday and can't wait to get started on some projects. You've already got so much done!

goodkarma said...

What a lovely gift. The colors go together so well. And no one would ever guys it was your "learn how to do fair isle" project!

Sonya said...

Wow, that is a wonderful bag! I've also been looking for a good learn Fair Isle project. I'll keep this in mind. It's a perfect gift project too.

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, you are Christmas gift knitting machine! I am in awe of your progress so far. The fair isle on this bag came out perfect.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful, I can't believe how neat your fair isle stitches are.

Laura said...

So beautiful! You knit so fast! Or perhaps sleep so little?

Acornbud said...

That bag has the coolest bottom, too. Great work!

Anonymous said...

Turned out just perfect! And I love the evergreen pattern, trees are the best:-)

Unknown said...

It's wonderful - you did a fantastic job!

Anonymous said...

Oh it's spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's perfect. I'm so impressed now I have to make one!

Tracy Batchelder said...

Beautiful job!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!!!

jennifer said...

gorgeous! what a lovely gift - lucky luck someone!

Jen said...

very nice first fair isle project. I especially like that there's a turning row before doing the decreases on the bottom to helpt he bag stand up.

As for your jogless color join, I've only seen it for stripes on a hat and am not sure if this applies to your particular question. Anyway, a quick search took me here. Good luck!

Jessica said...

It's gorgeous. Nicely donei