Monday, September 11, 2006

Don't quit your day job.

I did a little hooking this weekend.

My MIL is an avid blanket crocheter. I maybe have 7 afghans and numerous baby blankets. She really does a lovely job...they are acrylic, but they do wash nicely. Caron's One Pound is her yarn of choice. Here is her latest...usually she does solid or a thick stripe. She decided to make one out of extras...



I love it! (sorry it is blurry...she wouldn't sit still for me to take a photo!)
She calls it her Mexican blanket...my FIL thinks he is getting it for his truck....not if I can help it;)
So...I had a little crochet lesson...single and double crochet...



Not too bad! Do you think I could do the Turkish Treasure scarf from Scarfstyle? I really like it...I think that would be a little too ambishious for a beginner crocheter....no?

Here are a couple other patterns that I have seen in Martha mags...baby blanket and ball...crocheted baby booties....some basics and how to.

Other than that...it was a birthday party weekend! All went well...here is the birthday boy...not really sitting still...with the caped crusader cake all done up.



FYI some asked where I got the pan, I rented it from a local cake store...it is the old batman pan..the new one is kind of scary looking to me.

16 comments:

soapy said...

oohh love your batman cake!!! ;o) Great job! Looks awesome!

~Jody said...

You can do it! Crochet is easy - your swatches look like they were done by an old pro! You could handle a scarf - no sweat! Luv the cake it turned out great! Happy Birthday to the little guy!!

Anonymous said...

I really love crochet. It's such a basic kind of motion.

The Turkish scarf looks like it might be a little challenge to get the hang of, but I'm sure once you started, you'd be fine.

That, for me, is the ultimate beauty of crochet -- project difficulty isn't relatd to how hard it is to make a stitch. It's more about size and ability to figure out instructions.

I say go for it.

Ashley said...

I never fail to be annoyed that that scarf--probably my favorite in the whole book!--is crochet. I hope you do try it so that I too can have the hope of making it one day :)

Emma said...

I haven't tried crochet yet, but there are definitely some beautiful patterns out there for it. I love the striped blanket! Very autumnal colors.

Annika said...

Don't fall into the trap if believing that you must start with a "beginner" pattern! Just make what you want and learn as you go.

Valerie Polichar said...

Love the Batman cake!

Sue said...

Holey batman, your cake is great. Sorry for the pun, couldnt help myself. I am sure that you could do that scarf, even though I cant crochet unless my aunt sits next to me in case I get stuck. Cant wait to see how it goes.

Anonymous said...

You could definately do a scarf like this:
http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=1858
It's also in the happy Hooker book.

Lindsay said...

Considering what an accomplished knitter you are, I bet you could make that scarf.

Man. I felt like the fetching glove was pretty ambitious for me, and I think cabling on DPNs about made my head explode. But I did manage to do it! HAHAHA.

Rose Red said...

The great thing about the Turkish scarf is that you can do colourwork but no ends to weave in - and you carry the colours across the top of each row and crochet over them with the next row - very neat - you could totally make that scarf as a beginner crocheter - especially since you made that batman cake - it rocks!

Anonymous said...

When I first learned to knit and crochet, I pretty much taught myself from books, and no one ever said 'that 's too difficult for a beginner', so I never knew anything was too difficult for a beginner. I say go for it!

Anonymous said...

The colors in that afghan are wonderful. Your MIL clearly has a great eye for color. Make sure that doesn't end up in the back of the truck!

KnittenKnots said...

Wow - that really is a great blanket. I say go for it with the scarf - what's the worst that could happen? PS. Cable and Seed Stitch jacket with the little flower buttons is so precious. Very cute.

Anonymous said...

Love your pics. Can you tell me where your MIL got the pattern she uses to crochet the blanket?

Thanks.
gizlips@hotmail.com

Shelly said...

i neeed to ask - i have crocheted a blanket in acrylic - and because of the hours spent i feel like i cannot just throw it in the washing machine without some better guidance... haaalp!!