Wednesday, August 17, 2005

SCP #1 making a comeback.

You must think I am crazy to start on my holiday knitting. I have so many immediate family members...nieces and nephews...that I must be crazy to try and knit for them! I just want them to have a little something (or in some cases a big something) hand knit from moi.

So I received my elann order of jo sharp tweed in the DK weight to make SCP (secret Christmas project) #1. I really hope think the colour works. There is a lot of cabling involved, so it is time consuming...but really beautiful. I love this tweed yarn. Remember this is a secret...the recipient could be reading this...so I am trying not to be too revealing in the photos. (pattern is from IK spring...the Elizabeth Zimmerman design pg.52)



I haven't even touched the cora from elann (ok, I did unpackage it and fondle it...) but it is in the house. I hope to at least swatch it this week. I still need to decide between the two children's sweaters.

And I really have been trying to think of some packaging for my holiday knits. I ordered some of these cedar balls, also from elann, to enclose with the special knits.

I will assume that they cannot actually touch the fabric because of the oils...but I will find some lovely breathable boxes for the recipient to store their hand knit in with the cedar balls somehow attached to the inside...without actually touching the garment.

6 comments:

Tara said...

oh my gosh, I looked real quick at that pic and thought they were little peaches! Duh, Tara, drink your coffee before trying to think! Cute idea though!!!

eastern white said...

that's such a lovely color! cedar ball idea is fabulous.

Donna said...

Love the color of the dk tweed. It really shows the cables well! The socks are awesome! I can't believe how quickly you finished them..amazing.

Diana said...

I am hesitant to suggest additional knitting, but what about knitting little matching mini-sachet bags for the cedar balls out of leftover yarn?

grumperina said...

I love the idea of cedar balls to go along with a handknit gift! That's one I might use myself ;). I just have to remember, it only works with wool gifts, not cotton ones :).

Stephanie said...

Along the lines of what Diana suggested, I think little linen bags would be great - and easy. A little rectangle of linen, a pretty ribbon for a draw string, and you're good to go. You've inspired me to make a serious effort on my Christmas knitting.