Wednesday, August 24, 2005

A quick knit.

One of my many sisters (6 to be exact!) said that we are all contributing a prize basket for a family golf tournament and she would like a knit something-or-other from me! I think I can accommodate that request. So to the stash I go!
A scarf it will be...wearable, unisex...I'm going with it. Of course scarf style will be the source. Being a fan of Debbie Bliss designs, I have been wanting to make the Zig Zag Stripes scarf. Well, I don't have any different colours of one merino in my stash. So I turn to some Peruvian Collection Highland Wool. I have a couple colour choices. So here is attempt #1...

Not acceptable. It looks like granny was using up some odds and ends in her collection of acrylic...not the look I wanted. The colour combination looks cheap.
What about something chunky? That'll give it a more modern flare. I have 4 balls of Filatura Di Crosa Zar One. Is that enough at 60yrds a ball? I hope so. Here is attempt #2...

No, the stitch is too tight for this weight of yarn. I don't own any big needles....this attempt used my largest US#10/6mm. So off to the store for needles.
Using a size US #11 I started attempt #3...

Yes, that is more like it. Of course I had to decrease the cast on stitches to accommodate such a chunky yarn and I chose to do large blocks of colour instead of the stripe pattern. That's an hours worth of knitting...this will be quick! I like this colour combination much better.

Bloglines....what to say. I guess they aren't updating my feeds...I don't get it. To tell you the truth, I don't even use it. I find it easier to just keep my favourite blogs in my favourites!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about Bloglines, since I don't use them anymore! Talk about terrible service! The scarf looks quite lovely, definitely needed bigger needles to not be so dense.

Anonymous said...

It does look great. It's very reminiscent of the crochet zig zag thingy (that's a compliment, I swear!). And I honestly don't think the first one was that bad, I like blue and brown..but that's just me!

Tracy Batchelder said...

I've always admired that scarf. Interested to see how your version turns.

Laura said...

I kind of liked the first one too. Blue and brown are a favorite color combination for me. But I think the blue needs to be paler to look right. I like version #3 too -- looks like a nice warm scarf.

Bloglines...well, I signed up and have found it to be pretty worthless. I keep a folder of blogs that I like to take a look at every day or two (yours is one!) and that's that.

Anonymous said...

Nice adaptation of that pattern! I love how it is coming out, very sophisticated.