Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Knitpicks Swish

Ok...here is the knitpicks Swish swatch (say that ten times fast!) before (again, bad lighting and I used a flash...sorry)



Nice.
US#7 gave me a guage of 21 sts and 28 rows in 4"

After...



Still nice. The stitches are blurred a bit.

BUT

I now have a guage of 21 sts and 32 rows in 4"

Findings....

A wonderfully soft yarn. Knits up beautifully and washes well...but beware of the dryer.
I personally don't think I would knit up a sweater and toss it in the dryer no matter what the yarn is. I think blocking a garment flat enables you to reshape the garment and it may possibly save you from bearing your midriff.

7 comments:

j a r e d said...

Carolyn - I am SOOO glad you just posted this. I had the exact same results. I'm knitting a swish top-down raglan. I had done all my number crunching with my washed (and dryed) swatch) based on 8-rows to the inch. After getting about 6 inches into the project, i realized i was getting 7 rows to the inch, which changed everything. I am able to compensate without frogging (love top-down), but I was confused. Also because I swatched on different 7's than I'm knitting the sweater on, so I wasn't sure if it was my needles... the washer.. the dryer.. But you've really eased my mind about all this. Did you happen to notice if the guage changed after the wash too? or just the dryer? I'll probably need to reswatch to test. Thanks!~

Singular Stitches said...

Carolyn, DOH! I must have read right past the amounts you used! Thanks for highlighting for the 'brain impaired'! :o)

Carol said...

So much for "not worrying about washing your knitting" like the claim on Knitpicks website! Keep up the good work. It will save others hours of frustration. Always a good thing.

Jofrog said...

I've been looking at that yarn, thanks for the test swatch!

Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Thanks for letting us know how Swish behaves! I am looking at Shine sports weight for Biance in IK Fall 2006. This is one of the wonderful things about blogging - you learn so much from such terrific knitters!

Laura B said...

Thanks so much for the heads up! I just ordered some of this to make a baby sweater for a friend, so it's good to know how it behaves!

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is your friendly neighborhood blogwatch - just wanted to let you know you've been blogjacked.

See here.

They suck.