Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Knit blogging, KAL's and sock stash.

I can't say I remember anyone teaching me how to knit. I do remember trying when I was much younger...my Meme knit, maybe she taught me how once...my mother knit a bit...maybe she taught me...my Grandmother knit and still knits a bit...maybe it was her...I don't really know...

A true Martha follower...I saw a lesson in one of her baby magazines. It was simple, like way too simple garter stitch squares attached to make a baby blanket and sweater. I was interested but not really in this garter stitch simplicity...I needed something more challenging. So I went to the nearest craft store and picked up a book that showed basic techniques and in the back was a pattern for a cabled zippered hoodie I wanted to knit for my baby in the making. Armed with this really sad knitting book from the 70's and some horrible acrylic...I started swatches and graduated to childrens slippers. I soon realized that the hoodie was way out of my league...but yet not unachievable. I eventually knit a little sweater...became hooked on Debbie Bliss Books...and started searches about knitting on the internet. I actually learned many new techniques on internet sites. Of course, I discovered beautiful yarns...and that you can bid for yarn on ebay! The first real knitting site I came across was Knitters Review. Interesting. I read the Knit Picks Review and ventured on to their site. The Scarfstyle book was the kicker. I ordered the book and some yarn...and eventually started the scarves. I loved learning all the new techniques...yet was stumped on some of the chart knitting so I once again turned to the internet. That's when I found the Scarfstyle KAL. I discovered a whole new world of KAL's and bloggers. Before long, this sad little blog was born and I became a serious blog stalker!

If you haven't joined a KAL for a particular project you are working on, search for one. They really can help you. You may learn a different technique someone has applied to the pattern that may work for you. It's also nice to see other people finishing the knit and how it looks on them...not just that model in the pattern!

I am almost as addicted to blog reading than I am to knitting! I am out there. I read many knit blogs and sometimes don't always find the time to comment...but I am reading them! I try to comment as often as I can because I know that it is encouraging. It's nice to know that others find knitting as important...as addicting...as relaxing...as challenging...and interesting as I do!

What's a blog enty without a photo...lookie lookie.....

A little order from knitpicks...and some Lana Grossa Meilenweit Cotton....loving this stuff! Hopefully some of this cotton blend will turn into my Sockapal2za socks! I also received Knitting on the Road. There are some great sock patterns in this book...I must get knitting!

7 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

Interesting to hear how you started knitting. I have never joined a KAL. May have to give one a try.

Laura said...

I am new at blogging and blog stalking too. It's such a fantastic source of inspiration for projects. Seeing other knitters' WIPs encourages me to try new things. And if I'm not knitting, then I might as well be writing about knitting, or reading about it. Thanks for a fun read! Your new yarn photo makes me want to visit my LYS!

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I LOVE your blog, expecially all about the socks, we all have addictions...oh, and that beautiful "shine" cream baby blanket that you made for a friend. I love it!! I am thinking about making it for my son that's to be born in Nov. Was it hard, anything you can tell me would be great.. I'm awaiting my book now.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm with you! The Scarf Style KAL was also my intro to serious blogging and blog-stalking. I already had a blog at that point, but it was more of an experiment. Now with everyone's encouragement and lovely comments, I'm more hooked than ever! I think you and I "met" through the Scarf Style KAL, no?

LisaB said...

Like you and Grumperina, I too was introduced to the world of blogging through the ScarfStyle Knit-Along. And once you start the hooks are in! Totally addicted. Thanks for sharing your story!

Anonymous said...

I love your story!! If it makes you feel any better, I have 128 blogs on my bloglines that I read. I think if it gets much worse, I might start a 12-step program for myself.

winnie said...

if there's a 12-step program for blog-stalking-addiction, i'd be the first to sign myself up. i never knew knit-blogging was such a lethal combo..until my first KAL.. which was for the LUCKY cardigan. Now i've crossed the point of no return like you.. ahhhhh!!.. great stash enhancements by the way :P